[SoaS] SoaS Good News/Bad News

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:19:50 EDT 2010

Hi All...

Here, at last, is an SoaS progress report along with some more questions.  As you may recall, I am hoping to have a good working version of SoaS to distribute to interested educators at the LAUSD Tech Fair at the LA Convention Center on April 24.   <http://sites.google.com/site/lausdinfotech2010/>.

This afternoon I took my things over to a friend's house where they have 2 PCs running Windows XP.  We were successful in making a SoaS v2 usb stick using the file on the "Starter Kit" Tom Gilliard made and the Fedora LiveUSB Creator (which my friend reluctantly downloaded).

The resulting USB would not boot alone, but with the help of the Book Helper CD (made from the file on Tom's starter kit) it worked fine. His machine was a Compaq impressario or something like that.

When I got home, I tried the stick on my MacBook, using the Boot Helper CD, and it worked!

This is great!  But there are still some problems and questions.

1) I burned both the Strawberry and Blueberry files on CDs, thinking they would be live CDs... wrong!  Neither would boot on my friend's PC. He said it is because they are "iso" files.  Did I miss something?  How do I turn these files into a bootable file that I can burn to a CD to make a live CD?

2) Is there any way to return to the Home View from the Journal when running SoaS on a Mac? The frame that shows the Home View button is not visible and there doesn't seem to be a way to access it.  If is "iffy," but visible, on the PC (comes and goes).  Could there be a keyboard shortcut for this?

3) There is a problem with the "image-writer-mac" file.  I have tried to open the one on Tom's starter kit and have also downloaded it several times and tried. It will not open. I always get this error message:

"The document “image-writer-mac” could not be opened. PythonLauncher cannot open files of this type."

A  a small PythonLauncher Preferences window also opens with several options to choose including, "Reset to factory settings".  I haven't a clue what to do with it, but perhaps I could change something so it will open the image-writer-mac file?

This is enough for now.  I'm sure more will come up, but getting these answered will be a good start.

Thanks!

Caryl