[SoaS] [Fwd: Re: [Question #95622]: No root device found; Boot has failed, sleeping forever] " MacBook Pro with the Blueberry imaged USB and the Boot Helper CD in place."

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon Apr 5 06:18:24 EDT 2010

Forwarded to list"

(Do We need to fix this for MacBook boot)

Tom Gilliard
satellit

Question #95622 on Sugar on a Stick changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/soas/+question/95622

lisfolks posted a new comment:
So, I didn't have to make any changes to the image on the USB.  This is
what I do to make it work:

- Restart my MacBook Pro with the Blueberry imaged USB and the Boot Helper CD in place.
- Hold the 'C' key from the time the screen becomes black on the restart until the CD's boot screen comes up.
- At the boot screen, press Tab key to enter into the boot/kernel parameters screen.  This screen shows default values as follow:
vmlinuz0 initrd=initrd0.img root=LABEL=FEDORA rootfstype=vfat rw liveimg overlay=LABEL=FEDORA quiet rhgb
(note that there are actually two spaces between quiet and rhgb)
- Using the arrow keys, move the cursor to the end of 'root=LABEL=FEDORA', backspace out the 'FEDORA', and replace it with 'soas-2-blueberry' (without the quotes, of course).
- Arrow to the end of 'rootfstype=vfat', then press backspace to remove the 'vfat' portion.  Replace it with 'iso9660' (again, without the quotes).
- Arrow to the end of the command line (one space after the 'rhgb' parameter).  Add 'selinux=0' (that's a zero, and again, leave out the quotes).'
- Press the enter/return key - and wait.  The XO guy is gradually surrounded with circles.  When he's completely encircled, the screen becomes empty except for the Sugar name prompt, and all goes as expected after that.  Wonderful!

Thanks to all of you for your patience and assistance.  I hope this
sequence works for other Intel Mac users out there trying to experience
Sugar!  And, sorry, I forgot to note the version number, but the image
file I'm using is labeled 'soas-2-blueberry.iso' and I downloaded it in
December 2009 (creation date in Finder is 12/3/2009).