[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 30 18:37:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:26:11PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> [my budget _is_ the marketing budget]
> [...]
> Sugar will be a very real challenger on only a year or two.
>
> I have no illusions about the difficulty of jumpstarting an
> ecosystem, but since that is necessary to the success of Sugar, we
> need to make it happen.  I have ideas for plans for that too
> [...other ideas for plans]

That's all great but it boils down to what I said: we can't do it now,
where "we" is Sugar Labs and "it" is: create better distro than
Fedora-ish and service that distro with distro-vendor-quality support
and infrastructure.

So I propose we come up with some way to do it (ibid.)  to propose to
SLOB or we get real should say we're not going to do it (for now).
Either is better than the status quo of not doing it and pretend that
we are

> Sean

Martin

PS

> we were lucky the Chinese sites didn't link to us in their articles.

If China wanted a Sugar distro there'd be 10,000 CDs in a Sham Sui Po
warehouse before you could say "no idea how they did it without a
link".