[SoaS] Problem with zyx-liveinstaller on SoaS3-200909271154.iso = Fonts too big, screen size too small to use

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Tue Sep 29 23:51:47 EDT 2009

Thomas C Gilliard wrote:
> SoaS3-200909271154.iso display is too magnified.
> Cannot access all of page for formating in zyx-live installer
>
> The font size so large and display in browse so small. Have to use
> reduce 3-4 times to see all of wiki in browse. No size adjustments or
> sliders available in zyx-liveinstaller.

Sebastian knows about this, and someone (maybe you?) already mentioned
not being able to work around it with Xresources.  As you mention with
the wiki, this is a global problem/regression.  I could go to some
effort to make the fonts smaller or adjustable, but obviously it needs
to be resolved globally.

Also, the latest build that sebastian pointed out, asside from the font
issue, should once again be installable with zyx-liveinstaller.  If you
boot from livecd and install, you won't be able to eject due to some F12
changes that require another small change in zyx-liveinstaller.

On a completely random note, since I don't have time to get deeply
involved in the interesting discussions going on, I think it is worth
highlighting the new isohybrid feature of LiveCD/USB that is new in
Fedora 12.  Basically it sounds like a clever addition to sys/isolinux
that allows you to now dd the iso image to usb, and have it work
automatically, bypassing the livecd-iso-to-disk script.  I suspect it
doesn't support persistence, however I had a pretty interesting idea
last night about how to use the rebootless installation devicemapper
live migration technique to allow persistence to be optionally
created/enabled after boot of the LiveOS, instead of at LiveUSB creation
time.  And I think it can work with this new isohybrid mode.

On another random note, my $0.02 is that the fedora based soas should be
referred to as a 'derivative distribution' or 'fedora derived
distribution'.  That captures the scope of both how it is a
distribution, and yet does not require the traditional level of support
and development of a 'non-derived distribution' (as if there really is
such a thing anymore, but here we mean 'lightly derived distribution').

-dmc