[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Sep 29 19:02:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 06:29:11PM -0400, Wade Brainerd wrote:
> Hi Martin,
[...]
> You seem to be suggesting that it's doomed unless we massively expand the
> scope of our development efforts.

No, I'm not suggesting that.

> I think all of these questions and hypothetical situations ultimately stem
> from these two vantage points.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>wrote:
>
> > 1) is SoaS a separate distro to Fedora
> >

> No - it changes less than 0.1% of Fedora so I cannot call it a separate
> distro.

We'll delete the soas git repo and strawberry ISO and then you'll
still have the same distro available from fedora.redhat.com, right?
I'm not going to work harder than I have already to make the SoaS
Fedora distinction any clearer.

SoaS has a different set of binary .ISOs and - critically - a
different set of support tools and fora.  Thus it's a different
distro.

> > 2) should SL distribute a distro of its own
>
> Irrelevant per 1

In fact this is the de facto sitation per 1.  Hardly irrelevant.

> 3) can SL do this (#2) additional work
> >

> Irrelevant per 1

Per 1's supposed irrelevancy, you seem to want to conclude - despite
earlier saying that SoaS was the only way we'd be able to react to
deployments' needs - that SoaS is zero work to support anyway.  I
pointed you to emails and discussions where more work than Fedora
provided was being requested.  I don't see how this question can be
more relevant.

> Best,
> Wade

Martin