[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:02:50 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you Martin. I think that is spot on!
>
> >> We've been a distro distributor for months - from the before the
> >> beta-1 Sugar on a Stick announcement.
> >
> > Who's we?  sugaronastick.com?  Sugar Labs members?  Let's be clear:
> > Sugar Labs does not have the staff to compete with Canonical or Fedora
> > as a distro vendor.  So please help me understand to what "distro
> > distributor" tasks you think the DP should propose to SLOB.
>
> It would be interesting to see how many people are using SoaS over
> something like the installable options from the distros such as the
> sugar desktop group option in Fedora. This obv wouldn't include the
> XO-1s. Of the 5 devices I have that have sugar installed. 2 are the
> 802 XO release, and 3 are Fedora (although one of those will go to
> SoaS for some testing eventually).

I use SoaS for activity development and jhbuild for Sugar development.  I
have used SoaS ever since OLPC stopped making their distribution.  I
recommend SoaS VMs to people who ask me about the activity team.  I see it
as smaller, cleaner and more stable than a big distro with Sugar tacked on.

Anyway, why are we talking about the effort to maintain a distro?   SoaS
obviously benefits from all of Fedora's work - just look how quickly it's
moved from f10 to f11 to f12.  It's just a tweaked .ks file and a brand
name.

>> And, we are marketing it with success (cf. worldwide tech press
> >> coverage, the BBC, etc).
> >
> > How many people are using it?  Satisfied with SoaS as a distro?
> > What's the target deployment size, and what SL support will be
> > required?

I see emails from the GPA deployment going by all the time.  Are there any
deployments using Sugar on a standard distro?  Are there often mainstream
media articles announcing "package foo available in latest fedora"?

To me, SoaS has always been the answer to the question "how do I run Sugar
now that OLPC isn't providing OS builds?".  It works well, it's actively
developed, it brings in good press, so why are people questioning its value?

-Wade