[SoaS] SOAS[DP] Educator's Opinion

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:56:06 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

With all this discussion of naming conventions, we seem to be failing to consider our targeted end-users: classroom teachers.  Most of them think Fedora is a hat. It could just as well be "derby" as far as they are concerned.  I suggest we propose a name to apply to all Sugar distributions in every form. Then these could be labeled in a way that developers will know what the underlying software is and that educators can tell whether it will work on the machines they have.

Choose a name.  Get it registered. Add things like USB, SD, CD to indicate the intended carrier. Also add something that indicates what machines it will run on. Version numbers could be included too. All this could end up with a long name for each version, but it would tell everyone what it is in a way that they can understand.  Such as (for example):

Sugar4CD/PC/F11 (Sugar, version 4, made for liveCD, runs on PCs, Fedora11 based).

Caryl