[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Sep 29 10:09:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Sugar on a Stick" is not trademarked; my position is that it should
> be, and the sooner the better.

It's my understanding that a trademark protects a name that you want
to use for something (or class of things).  It allows you to stop
other people from using that same name for similar, but different
things in that class.  Why does Sugar Labs need a trademark for "Sugar
on a Stick" unless it plans to
get in the (hopefully) potential business of saying "yes" or "no"?

> I'm all for changing our strategy, marketing and PR, but there needs
> to be compelling marketing reasons for doing so. I haven't heard any
> yet. Like throwing out code, doing so has a cost.

I think you are referring to efforts to promote the SoaS Strawberrry
software as "Sugar on a Stick".
Can confirm or deny this?  And if appropriate say why you think such
promotion efforts are important
to Sugar Labs.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad