[SoaS] [Marketing] Generating a list of SoaS spins

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Sep 28 17:47:43 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 02:33:15PM -0700, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> Martin Dengler wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 01:55:46PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>>
>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> OK, let's be playful for a minute... how about "Sugar Pies" (Live
>>> CDs) and Sugar Wafers (SD cards) for starters? You could have
>>> "Strawberry Pie" and "Blueberry Wafers" etc!
>>>

>> Ok, though "Sugar Pie" makes me think of "cow pie"...but the problem
>> is that we're not going to have different images for SD cards vs. USB
>> sticks, so I guess - although the names are amusing :) - I still don't
>> see a good umbrella term to explain what we're trying to limit this
>> list to.  Only the terrible "Sugar-centric distribution" seems to
>> capture what people think this list should be for[1].
>>

> Why not "Portable  Sugar-Desktop"

...because some have called for an "install to hard drive" option, at
which point what's installed to hard drive is hard to call "live" or
"portable".

Is a HD install of a SoaS-Strawberry USB image "SoaS"?  Is it a
"Portable Sugar-Desktop"?  If not, what is it?

> Other distributions have called it:
>
>    * openSUSE-Sugar-Live (dd to USB/SD)
>    * openSUSE-Edu-live-Li-f-e (Server) with Sugar( dd to 8GB USB/SD)
>    * F11-Live-Edu (sh script)
>    * Trisquel-Edu (Live USB)
>    * Trisquel-Sugar (Announced today)
>    * F12(rawhide)education i386xxxxx (dd to USB/SD)
>    * Sugar Tree  "Strawberry Soas" Jabber:ss.sugaronastick.com

Cool list, thanks.  It'd be cool if you could add it to mel's wiki page
(which I can't find right now, sorry :( ).

>>> Caryl
>>>

>> Martin
>
> Tom Gilliard

Martin