[SoaS] [Marketing] Generating a list of SoaS spins

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon Sep 28 17:33:15 EDT 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 01:55:46PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>
>> Hi...
>>
>> OK, let's be playful for a minute... how about "Sugar Pies" (Live
>> CDs) and Sugar Wafers (SD cards) for starters? You could have
>> "Strawberry Pie" and "Blueberry Wafers" etc!
>>

> Ok, though "Sugar Pie" makes me think of "cow pie"...but the problem
> is that we're not going to have different images for SD cards vs. USB
> sticks, so I guess - although the names are amusing :) - I still don't
> see a good umbrella term to explain what we're trying to limit this
> list to.  Only the terrible "Sugar-centric distribution" seems to
> capture what people think this list should be for[1].

Why not "Portable  Sugar-Desktop"

 this covers USB/SD/CD/&USB Hard Disks at least.

Other distributions have called it:

    * openSUSE-Sugar-Live (dd to USB/SD)
    * openSUSE-Edu-live-Li-f-e (Server) with Sugar( dd to 8GB USB/SD)
    * F11-Live-Edu (sh script)
    * Trisquel-Edu (Live USB)
    * Trisquel-Sugar (Announced today)
    * F12(rawhide)education i386xxxxx (dd to USB/SD)
    * Sugar Tree  "Strawberry Soas" Jabber:ss.sugaronastick.com

It looks like the other distributions have already settled on non-Soas names

Tom Gilliard