[SoaS] Experimental Virtualbox Boothelper for Mac OS X

Dave Bauer dave at solutiongrove.com
Thu Oct 29 09:01:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave and All,
>
> Well, I tried to get the SoaS to work on my MacBook from a USB with no
> luck.  Here is what I did...
>
> I had an old version of Virtual Box (2.???) so I downloaded the new one and
> uninstalled the old one before installing the new one.
>
> I downloaded the appliance and attempted to follow the instructions. The
> Boothelper does show up on Virtual Box... powered off.  The I also seem to
> have Sugar and Sugar/SoaS... possibly left over from the old version I
> uninstalled.
>
> I tried to download SoaS to a usb stick. When I look at the contents it
> shows up as "599-sugar-on-a-stick-v084" and the information says it is a
> Unix executable file.

Ok. Here is the first problem! There is no way to create a SoaS USB
stick on a Mac. Well I suppose you could install Windows or Fedora and
dual boot and then run the liveusb-creator, but that seems ever more
complicated.

> I did a restart holding down the option key... it gave me a choice of Mac or
> Windows, nothing else. I also tried the C key. That just went straight to
> Mac.

Ok. With Virtualbox you don't need to reboot at all. SoaS will run
inside Virtualbox as a guest to your OS X operating system.

> I think I may have the files a downloaded correctly but just don't know how
> to make it work.

I'll work on some better instructions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave