[SoaS] [Marketing] Competition for the XO

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:27:48 EDT 2009

one of those happy (for me) occasions I can say I told y'all so:

Microsoft unwraps netbook Windows 7 upgrade tool
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=8D089C46-1A64-6A71-CE5E2B4B5BE26477

"Microsoft has released a tool that lets netbook owners install
Windows 7 on their machines using a USB flash drive, sidestepping the
usual requirement of a DVD drive... The utility, Windows 7 USB/DVD
Download Tool, creates a bootable flash drive from a downloaded .iso
file, or disk image, of Windows 7, and can be purchased from
Microsoft's online store."

MS announcement:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/10/22/windows-7-arrives-today-with-new-offers-new-pcs-and-more.aspx

"The Microsoft Store will be providing a tool called the Windows 7
USB/DVD Download Tool (rolls right off the tongue doesn’t it?) – or
WUDT for short. For netbook users without DVD drives, the WUDT will
take an ISO image and create a bootable USB device that can be used to
install Windows 7. The WUDT can also create a Windows 7 installation
DVD from the ISO file as well."

For my part, I think "LiveUSB Creator" sounds a lot more professional
than "WUDT" :D

This is fabulous news, because there is now incentive for every OEM,
tech site, blogger, etc. to describe how to set BIOS to boot from
USB!!

Such instructions will become easily googlable, lowering the barrier
for booting Sugar on a Stick (or indeed any liveUSB system)

Sean