[SoaS] LiveUSB Duplication coming to SoaS

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sun Oct 25 06:47:05 EDT 2009

Dave Bauer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been looking on (and discussing with Martin) ways to replicate USB
>> keys directly from a running SoaS and have now a first incarnation of a
>> script ready. It has been merged into GIT, but for now, you can also
>> grab it from here: http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/liveusb-to-liveusb.sh
>>
>> This might go away soon, though. To run the script, just execute it from
>> the terminal and provide it with the location of your second USB key
>> (the one you want to copy the image to). Here's an example call:
>>
>>     sudo sh ./liveusb-to-liveusb.sh /dev/sdc1
>>
>> So what does this script do? It basically runs livecd-iso-to-disk as
>> described in RHBZ #448030 and copies in the end some missing stuff over.
>> Finally, it adjusts the kernel arguments to make sure you're able to boot.
>>

> Interesting. I duplicated quite a few sticks just using
> livecd-iso-to-disk and it seemed to work fine. If there a link I can
> see what is missing?

Oh, that's indeed interesting! What command were you using exactly to do
so? My tries failed when it came to booting the new USB key, as it
didn't copy the syslinux folder.

>> Limitations include currently no way to set up an overlay without
>> pondering with the script itself. Please test it and let me know how it
>> goes!
>
> Hmmm. Again I was under the impression using livecd-iso-to-disk was
> able to create an overlay.
> Perhaps I should check again.

Yes, you can. But the script I wrote above (which calls
livecd-iso-to-disk, btw) doesn't set an overlay by default; mostly,
because I don't know yet, what reactions this would cause when it comes
to duplicating another USB key.

So the use case I was describing is: Boot an existing USB key. Plug in
another one. Call a specific tool and have it copy the system over.
Reboot. One might then use the second USB key, too.

--Sebastian