[SoaS] [IAEP] A proposal from Trisquel (Was Re: [DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel)

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez ruben at gnu.org
Tue Oct 20 18:07:53 EDT 2009

> 1). Live CD boots and runs fine on a MacBook Pro (though has no
> wireless network, or camera support, and screen redraw was a little
> slow in some activities so I guess no or little use of gfx hardware
> acceleration).

Trisquel is fully free, so we lack of several hardware drivers (no
nvidia 3d support, several wifi cards do not work, etc).

> 2). Using the Live CD to install trisquel-sugar to a USB stick (my
> main test goal). WARNING DATA LOSS: Targeting a USB stick for the
> install process worked smoothly, but right at the very end I spotted
> it saying "installing grub to hd0". This renders the primary
> internal hard disk on a Mac un-bootable. After much
> experimentation***, the only safe solution was a fresh re-patrition
> of the drive, and to perform a full restore from a back-up (thank
> goodness for Apple's Time Machine).

But you should not create a usb installation that way! A proper
usb-creator is bundled in the iso, you can launch it using the
terminal (a graphical launcher is on the go). The usb-creator utility
builds a persistent live-usb drive, which will also run much
faster than the installed-to-usb-disk method, and with no risk.

You can read more about it in the wiki entry:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast

> *** PRAM resets, Disk Utility volume recovery, re-setting start-up
> disk, blessing from command line, re-install of OS, couple of other
> 3rd party recovery tools.... [trim]

I'm happy to see you managed to recover it :)

> 3). The resulting USB Stick failed to boot on a MacBook (but might
> work on other hardware, need to test).

The apple bios cannot boot a usb drive, but you can use the live CD as
a boot helper, you can read how to do that in the wiki entry too.
(It will only work if you use the usb-creator to set up your stick).

Thank you very much for your tests.