[SoaS] installation fear, was Re: [Marketing] Governance & Trademark in the Wiki

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:48:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:
> Sean DALY wrote:
>> Thanks for this Douglas
>
> This is all great stuff! :) Thanks for drafting these ideas up...
>
>> I believe virtualbox was chosen since free (beer) and multiplatform.
>
> Well, it was, from what I recall, since VMware isn't free on Macs and
> generally not really open source (though they made some steps in that
> direction). However, the point that has been made on its portability is
> still valid - I'm not sure how portable it currently is.
>
> So here's the thing. I think we might want to provide additional
> solutions with the Blueberry launch; however, I would prefer not to
> stretch the SoaS metaphor further than it has already been.
>
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/soas/+spec/joint-soas-release
>
> * VirtualBox might be a possibility. I see there's some portable version
> spreading around, but it seems to be somewhat hack-ish.
>
> * QEMU doesn't require administrative rights and should work directly
> from USB keys - together with a nice autorun config, this might already
> fit our needs, though it probably doesn't perform as well as VirtualBox
> does (mind you, we're already composing virtual appliances at build time).

Last I heard QEMU did not have acceleration on Mac OS X so it was
pretty unusable. I haven't checked into it lately.

Do these have the guest additions or whatever for VMWare and
VirtualBox? For a good experience you want to have clipboard and mouse
integration with the desktop as well as the video drivers for
Virtualbox.

> * Moka5 (www.mokafive.com) - that's an interesting possibility, too, but
> is only free for Windows, since it requires VMware Fusion on the Mac.
>
>> Sebastian, what do you think about these ideas?
>
> Well, I think we might want to figure a solution here. Something
> interesting would probably also be to have it working both on Windows
> and Macs. If I get a spare minute, I'll think about this and hack a bit
> into it... anybody up to jump in? ;)

I can help out with Virtualbox stuff.