[SoaS] [Marketing] installation fear, was Re: Governance & Trademark in the Wiki

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 06:54:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Carlo Falciola <cfalciola at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Sean, Martin,
> Recently I started playing with VirtualBox in order to get a "standard" SOAS usb bootable key to boot into an "empty" VM in VirtualBox.
> This is different from a livecd in sense you get persisten updates and your stik could always be booted in other systems...
>  VirtualBox supports, at least in Linux & Windows the feature to define virtual bootable disk that belongs to a USB stick.
>
> So now I've a generic VM that when started by VB look for an USB Bootable Stick attached to a running windows machine and start it
> Till' now it works for me with Strawberry & the latest Soas2.iso.
>
> I actually followed  instructions I found on the web (there shoud be a message to sugar-devel list about it)
>
> The solution is definitely not ready for primetime, and should be  tested a lot, but right now is it possible to:
> 1. Manually install VirtualBox
> 2. Get the VirtualMachine (containing the "special Virtual Disk")
> 3. Stich the Strawberry in the running host

Can you describe this step in some more detail?
Right now as I understand it, on Linux and Windows Hosts you can hit
F12 (if you are very fast) to open the boot menu or also quickly open
the USB menu at the bottom of the screen and activate the selected USB
device. You can't boot from USB on OS X for some reason so I have
created a boothelper VM which looks for a USB stick named Fedora. On
OS X I have been able to automate this to umount the USB from the host
OS, and attach it to the running VM so the use potentially just has to
plug in the stick and make one click on an application icon.

Dave