[SoaS] [Marketing] Governance & Trademark in the Wiki

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:45:11 EDT 2009

This does seem sensible, but I don't see how it will help our
branding, unless the decision rests with us to allow a "remix" to use
the brand name. Otherwise, we'll just fragment the brand. What will
people doing remixes contribute to our marketing? Wouldn't it be
better if they worked with us?

"Remixes" are brand extensions, sometimes called "flankers", which can
work if a brand is strong. There's not much point doing so with a weak
brand I'm afraid. I would bet that Fedora is a better-known brand than
Sugar Labs today, but it's still a very weak brand. (I'm sure One
Laptop per Child is a better-known brand, which is why it would be far
more effective for us to do joint marketing with them when they are
ready.)

What we are trying to do with Sugar Labs is create the conditions for
a breakout. It's not easy; if it were, everybody would be doing it
with their brands :-) I've said before that what Sugar on a Stick
actually *is* can evolve; it's the brand that's fragile and needs
protection.

Sean