[SoaS] What distro is sugaronastick.com distributing? (was: Re: SoaS decision panel: Do we ignore/protest two week deadline?/Starting deliberations?)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Oct 13 15:13:08 EDT 2009

Caroline, I agree with everything you said, but you don't address the
issues I have referred to before:

- sugaronastick.com distributes a software product that is not the
same that produces the sugar on a stick community,

- sugaronastick.com is produced by an individual and not by the sugar
on a stick community.

I'm not talking about businesses rights nor anything so transcendent,
it's just that using the same name for two things different but
related is misleading and just not practical.

If you think you absolutely need the sugaronastick brand to move your
plans forward, I for one wouldn't see a problem changing the name of
the sugar on a stick community to something different. But I'm only a
minor contributor to SoaS and we should understand that other people
in that community hardly will feel the same.

I would like to know if you agree that the two problems mentioned
above do exist and if so, what do you propose to address them.

Thanks,

Tomeu

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 19:50, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/10 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
>>>
>>> b) what feedback from the SoaS / Sugar Labs community was sought
>>> before Solution Grove registered a domain name that was the exact same
>>> as a distribution the creation of which was substantially not done by
>>> Solution Grove (I was not involved at this point).
>>
>> I'm new to the list, but to me http://sugaronastick.com is a very
>> interesting case. I didn't realise this site wasn't endorsed by Sugar Labs,
>> given that there is so much Sugar Labs branding on the site.
>
> Is not yet endorsed by Sugar Labs because there is no mechanism for doing
> so.  Walter has been trying to find time to sit down and talk to me for over
> a month but has not been able to. I have talked to Sean and others.
> I rather doubt we'll end up in court.  We are all on the same side here.
>  Walter and Sean and Mike Lee (its his photos) all had advanced notice
> before the site went up. I registered the domain name way back in February.
>  None of them had any issues prior to my announcement of the site. The spin
> on the site is the same as what we are using at the GPA and I announced it
> because I needed help testing the GPA spin but I didn't want people on the
> GPA school server so I figured it was a good time to test this server too.
> I think there are some things we can agree on:
>
> Collaboration is a key part of the Sugar Experience.
> Backup is important for real kids using Sugar on a Stick
> We want kids who aren't in a school with a school server to be able to use
> Sugar
> Sugar Labs does not have the resources or moral obligation to provide these
> services for free to every child who might want to use them.
> Free software does not mean that we don't want an ecosystem that includes
> for profit companies.
>
> Facts you might not know.
> I asked the Sugar Community to create Sugar on a Stick back in November,
> pitching the idea of using the Sticks as a primary means of access rather
> then buying a laptop per child.  There is a youtube video of the talk.
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjPIKFSyTE
> I started working on liveUSBs for students in Feb 2008 in a class at Harvard
> Grad School of Education with a partner who works for Boston Public Schools.
>  It was her idea.
> I registered the domain name in Feb well before the Strawberry release, I
> think before Sean joined SL and our marketing campaigns.
> Since maybe March Solution Grove has been hosting the jabber.sugarlabs.org.
>  It was not working well and we knew to get it debugged we needed to test it
> at scale.  But we told Bernie when we made the switch that we could not do
> it forever as the community scaled up.  In fact that is why we all agreed,
> its clear that a free community jabber server is not scalable, we all  knew
> [...]

Farning