[SoaS] The boot helper CDs will be a maintainability issue

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Thu Oct 8 16:11:37 EDT 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> Could this be solved by branding, linking a boot helper to a SoaS
> version? Strawberry helper, Blueberry helper?

Yes, I'd agree here! Since that's how they were intended. We originally
didn't release boot helpers with each snapshot, since those are
snapshots for a reason. On the other hand, updates for Sugar on a Stick
(v1) had, when being mentioned, a huge warning sign.

That's not because we wouldn't want people to try it out, but because
it's just a support hell. There's even been a blueprint in Launchpad,
but I'm not sure whether this will happen for v2:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/soas/+spec/distribution-updates

So to be clear: Updating via yum is not the recommended way of moving to
another release (which is also the way since we had originally some
forked packages from Fedora).

If I recall correctly, you could type yum update on your XO, but this
wouldn't necessarily move you to the next OLPC software release.

Anyway, finding good ways of updating SoaS / the base system / the
activities is a good thing to discuss. Anybody up for another lengthy
discussion here? ;)

--Sebastian