[SoaS] The boot helper CDs will be a maintainability issue

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Oct 7 18:42:23 EDT 2009

We ran into a bug at GPA where we made a new spin and it ended up with a
newer version of the Kernel then the boothelper had.  The result was
everything worked fine, except networking.  It took us a long time to figure
out what was wrong.
Use Scenario

1. We send kids home with computers and CDs and then a few months or a year
later the school upgrades SoaS.  We can send home new CDs but its quite
likely that there will be confusion and some people will use the wrong CD.

2. A day care center serves several elementary schools. At some point the
schools are running different versions. (Now this would be a nice problem to
have!).

So its not a critical issue but its worth thinking about.

There is a solution, Bill found a different kind of boot helper that boots
one kernel then boots the USB.  The issue is it takes about a minute longer
then the current boot-helper.  I'm not sure if its worth the tradeoff or
not.  It maybe in some cases.

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove