[SoaS] Sugar Survey (was RE: As requested: RE: Thoughts on RE: SOAS decision panel : thoughts)

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Sat Oct 3 17:26:45 EDT 2009

Caroline Meeks wrote:
> CD - My dream is that we have a single CD that does 3 things

On the fedora derived side of things -

>    1. Runs Sugar as a live CD

Should be working fine.  If this somehow exists as a long term use-case,
I've got some dusty work that can improve the boot time and the
compression.

>    2. Has a Sugar App that lets you create a live USB based on the way
>       you have set up your system (favorites, language pref, added
>       activities)

Sounds like what you want here is the current in-ram overlay to be used
to initialize the created LiveUSB instead of a blank one.  That or just
the minimal part of it that pertains to what you mentioned.  The outline
I mentioned for post-LiveOS boot of the isohybrid case, could easily be
extended to work from the LiveCD case of running the LiveUSB creator
tool.  And trisquel shouldn't have much problem doing something similar.

What fedora's devicemapper snaphsot based LiveOS architecture combined
with my devicemapper livemigration techniques can get, that trisquel
can't do so easily would be this-

allow the user to go from LiveCD+in_ram_overlay to
LiveUSB+on_usb_overlay without rebooting.  (and then allowing the user
to eject the liveCD, hand it to someone else, and go merrily using the
new LiveUSB without rebooting)

>    3. Acts as a boot helper when booting from a USB.

If fedora/soas doesn't already do this (I don't think it does), it
shouldn't be too hard to implement.  What it boils down to is the parts
of dracut/mkinitramfs that find the meta-root device, having udev assign
it to /dev/live, and then mounting it.  What would need to be done is to
handle the case where multiple acceptable live devices are present, and
then prefer the non-readonly media as the choice to be used.

> This dream is not yet a reality  Maybe you have techies in NZ who could
> make it happen?

Might I suggest the use of the term 'developers' instead of 'techies'? :)

-dmc