[SoaS] [IAEP] A proposal from Trisquel (Was Re: [DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel)

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Oct 2 20:40:32 EDT 2009

Thanks Ruben Great news!
I think besides freedom the other word that comes to mind is Power.

To see a room with 25 old computers and monitors on all day and I think all
night...that is a waste of Power.  Replace those with a server and give the
individual computers to kids who don't have one.

 To give a child the ability to continue work on their creations, be they
art, music, programing, writing etc., from any computer at mom's house,
dad's house, grandma's, day care, the library, that is giving them Power.

I'd be interested in knowing the legal ownership of elementary school work
products.  But even if they have a legal right to them they have no Power to
exercise it. When kids move often even the test scores and report cards that
adults consider important are not transfered to the new school.  Who will
advocate for giving a child their computer files off of the server?

Where are you from Ruben?  Do you have large numbers of transient families
in your area? Its a huge problem in urban areas of the US.  I read that in a
city in NJ a teacher on average only about half the kids in an elementary
school class are in the same school at the end of the year.

Thanks, :)

Caroline

--
Caroline Meeks