[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Record rewrite -- was Re: SoaS v2 approaching RC state

daniel g. siegel dgsiegel at gnome.org
Thu Nov 26 18:05:28 EST 2009

On Do, 2009-11-26 at 14:59 -0800, Peter Robinson wrote:

> > afaik there were two problems, depending on the version of the
> > underlying fedora.
> >
> > a) gst-plugins-good (with the v4l2src plugin) was not installed
> > b) the user "olpc" was not inside the "video" group
>
> I don't think SoaS uses the "olpc" user but a liveuser or similar.
> With PloicyKit I think the user should have access to the device if
> their on the local console, if that's not the case it probably needs
> to be investigated as it shouldn't be tied to a specific username.

well, i tried that on several olpc's.

> > furthermore, i got some segfaults when i tested record on a fedora 12,
> > coming from the cairo code (which is calling the installed cairo lib)
> > which is used by record. however i did not manage to track down that
> > bug.

> >> Maybe Daniel Siegel of Cheese fame can give some insight on that?
> >
> > we (cheese) want to use camerabin too, and thats where we are heading
> > for the next release. camerabin does a great job of simplifying the
> > whole process of taking photos and videos. it is already in use in the
> > nokia n900 device. please be also aware that camerabin is still in
> > gst-plugins-bad and is not finished entirely.
> >
> > see this wiki page for further information:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/CameraBin
>
> Excellent. Do you know what the plans and timeframe is to get this
> moved to plugins-good?

im afraid, no. if you are interested in that you could ask stefan kost,
who is the main developer behind camerabin. however he promised that
camerabin is ready for us until gnome 2.30 (march 2010) and should be
moved to -good by september 2010. however he added that we could use it
already (with some minor drawbacks which are outlined on the wiki page)
and we are doing that right now.

daniel

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel at gnome.org>