[SoaS] SoaS Blueberry Marketing Collateral

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Tue Nov 24 14:27:42 EST 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> Thanks Douglas yes i saw that but what I'm saying is people need to be
> warned before they start up a tool on a dcomputer. It's a
> communications issue.

Yes, I think quite simply, zyx-liveinstaller should be framed entirely
as an optional benefit to SoaS, and not a core piece.  I.e. the majority
of users of blueberry will never launch it, or need to care that it exists.

> I'm still not clear what zyx-liveinstaller does to a Windows or OSX
> hard disk...

Are you familiar with the process of booting a fedora or ubuntu livecd,
and then installing to system disk?  It's that.  But much simpler with
fewer options (because it is still relatively immature).  I.e. with the
fedora LiveCD installer, it takes the root filesystem that the LiveOS is
using (i.e. from cdrom + ram (or persistent usb) overlay) and copies it
to a user specified partition.  If that partition had their windows
filesystem, their windows filesystem is now gone.  It also overwrites
the bootloader.  zyx-liveinstaller does not yet go to lengths to set up
a dual boot configuration, though that can be added later by editing a
configfile.

my concern is modifying a core marketing promise of Sugar
> on a Stick, which is "doesn't touch the hard drive of the computer"
> (cf. 2 previous SoaS press releases).

Then ensure marketing communications never erroneously indicate that
zyx-liveinstaller is something that people need to use.  Its just an
option for those people who would like its functionality.

  If the tool only works on
> GNU/Linux hard disk installs,

Again, I think you don't quite grok how a traditional fedora/ubuntu
installation from LiveCD works.  There is no dependence or relation to
another operating system, other than "the sugar on a stick operating
system"  (presently a distribution of fedora-12 packages and customizations)

  we can deal with that as a "special
> feature for GNU/Linux", and our promise holds for Windows and OSX
> machines. If however there is risk to the data of those computers, we
> will need to weigh the change of our promise with the benefits of the
> tool, and its readiness.
>
> Doing a live install, loading a stick from a stick are really cool
> tools for spreading Sugar. But every indication is that most computer
> users consider an OS upgrade or install to be very risky for data
> (it's a factor in GNU/Linux market share penetration issues), which is
> why addressing this fear is one of the core promises.

This all makes sense.  And isn't threatened at all by the _option_ that
zyx-liveinstaller gives to users of SoaS.  But if miscommunicated as a
key aspect of typical SoaS use, then yes, that would be bad.

-dmc