[SoaS] SoaS Blueberry Marketing Collateral

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Tue Nov 24 09:58:14 EST 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> OK Douglas please bear with me so that's for installing on additional
> blank media (e.g. second USB stick)? No risk to whatever's installed
> on the host computer's hard drive?

The use case is exactly like I described it: "install Sugar to a
computer's hard disk". I'm planning to write more concrete instructions
for that on a separate doc, but I could really use a hand and plan to
get back to readying the release, soon.

For replicating to a second USB key, the recommended way is (tip of the
hat to Dave Bauer) something like: sudo livecd-iso-to-disk
--overlay-size-mb xxx /dev/sr0 /dev/sdYZ

> Put another way, in a typical classroom case (PC with Windows or Mac
> with OSX) what's the benefit? We need to communicate that to teachers
> and parents

It's basically like: "You used Sugar on a Stick and want to put it on
your hard disk while keeping all the changes you made already? Cool!"

The procedure then is: Open a terminal and type a command. Launch the
partitioner through the interface and create a partition layout (big fat
warning should appear). Walk through the rest of the installer by
selecting your appropriate partitions. Wait. Once it's done, unplug your
USB key and that's it. No need to reboot. You're already using your
installed system. After rebooting, everything should work fine, too (tip
of the hat to Douglas McClendon for this cool technology).

It will also somewhat work in schools, but from what I recall, we agreed
not market Blueberry aggressively as entirely deployment ready.

--Sebastian