[SoaS] Booting Fedora live USB on MacBookPro

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 15:32:26 EST 2009

On 11/10/2009 02:40 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating an EFI bootable USB image on my rawhide system with this
> command-line:
>
>  ./livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --format  --efi --overlay-size-mb 400 \
> 	--delete-home --extra-kernel-args selinux=0 ./soas04.iso /dev/sdb1
>
> The resulting USB stick boots fine on a black MacBook, but not on
> a silver MacBook Pro.
>
> The bootable stick does not even show up in the list of boot devices.

Which generation of MBP and MBP, and are you using the i386 tree or
the x86_64 tree? It sounds like the MacBook is a Santa Rosa (MacBook3,1)
or later and the MacBook Pro is an earlier generation, and you're using
x86_64.  Or vice-versa regarding the ages, and you're using the i386 tree.

This won't work, as pre-Santa Rosa mac will only boot 32-bit EFI images,
and post-Santa Rosa macs will only boot 64-bit EFI images.