[SoaS] SoaS v2 feedback

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Mon Nov 9 19:07:47 EST 2009

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> Martin Dengler wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:56:31PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I finally got the time tonight to sit down and put the latest SoaS2
>>> test release on my XO-1 to take it for a spin. Very nice. Unlike SoaS1
>>> it boots again on my XO-1 :-) YAY!
>>>
>>> Now some quick feedback to help improve it.
>>>
>>> On the XO release at least if you remove the livecd-tools (which will
>>> in turn remove syslinux) the perl dependency will be removed saving
>>> about 35 meg. I believe the point of the livecd-tools is to allow the
>>> duplication of usb keys which wouldn't work on the XO variant anyway.
>>> I'm working to get the syslinux dependence on perl split out into a
>>> sub package upstream.
>> Committed - thanks.  Sebastian - if this breaks zyx-installer, sorry,
>> please revert.
>
> I just got home, so I'm a bit late in looking at this. Peter, thanks for
> the awesome input and Martin, thanks for already committing everything! :)
>
> And no, zyx-liveinstaller should be fine!

Yes, zyx-liveinstaller uses grub when it installs a bootloader.  But
syslinux is required for livecd-iso-to-disk, so if you want to make
LiveUSB(soas proper) from a booted soas LiveCD, syslinux is needed.  It
sounds like you had gotten that working (I think I noticed Martin or
someone else join the old fedora bug/rfe about using livecd-iso-to-disk
with /dev/live from a running livecd instead of a .iso argument.  And I
think there was recent discussion here about a patched version working
if the upstream doesn't yet).  As for getting liveusb-creator to work
from a livecd/usb without needing a .iso, I do expect that to happen,
but probably not from me in the imminent future.

-dmc