[SoaS] SoaS v2 feedback

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Nov 9 11:31:16 EST 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:56:31PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I finally got the time tonight to sit down and put the latest SoaS2
>> test release on my XO-1 to take it for a spin. Very nice. Unlike SoaS1
>> it boots again on my XO-1 :-) YAY!
>>
>> Now some quick feedback to help improve it.
>>
>> On the XO release at least if you remove the livecd-tools (which will
>> in turn remove syslinux) the perl dependency will be removed saving
>> about 35 meg. I believe the point of the livecd-tools is to allow the
>> duplication of usb keys which wouldn't work on the XO variant anyway.
>> I'm working to get the syslinux dependence on perl split out into a
>> sub package upstream.
>
> Committed - thanks.  Sebastian - if this breaks zyx-installer, sorry,
> please revert.

I just got home, so I'm a bit late in looking at this. Peter, thanks for
the awesome input and Martin, thanks for already committing everything! :)

And no, zyx-liveinstaller should be fine!

>> Also if you explicitly add 'ssmtp' or remove the requirement of cronie
>> you'll lose sendmail in turn saving a couple more meg and the startup
>> of a daemon.
>
> Something's pulling cronie in - it's not explicit.  I'll ask for ssmtp
> explicitly - can't hurt (FLW).

Yeah, cool! Dunno why we weren't doing that before already...

>> To fix the camera all you should need to add is
>> 'gstreamer-plugins-good' and that should pull in all that's needed to
>> get that to work
>
> Thanks - committed.
>
>> (no idea why you've excluded that anyway :-) )
>
> Yeah, that was weird.
>
>> There's also an issue with the 'olpc' repository URL. Should probably
>> move it to somewhere other than dsd's home dir.
>
> Perhaps that's recently moved as OLPC have resurrected some rpm repos:
>
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-November/026100.html
>
> I'll have a look.
>
>> It seems also the auto import of rpm keys is broken for some reason
>> and hence I can't pull in the new Fedora-12 signing key which has
>> screwed the updates. I presume that's due to hacked
>> fedora/generic-release rpm. Can someone confirm?
>
> We don't hack the rpm, AFAICS (notwithstanding my "yes" to a question
> like this this morning - I though the question was "do you hack
> /etc/fedora-release?").  We try to do this:
>
> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora*-primary
>
> ...but IIRC that was failing.

Maybe it's a Fedora / Rawhide issue. Some packages weren't signed...

So, we don't hack the RPM. We're just change the content of
/etc/generic-release (or fedora-release).

>> I'll have more of a look over the next couple of days if I get a
>> chance, a quick look showed quite a few spots where the included
>> packages can be reduced.
>
> Much appreciated.

Yes! :) Sounds like the right time to get a new snapshot soon..

>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>
> Martin

Cheers,