[SoaS] updating the draft decision panel report

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:11:13 EST 2009

I have re-added the marketing list which somehow keeps falling off
this marketing discussion.
SJ has found concise phrases which I feel will serve well.

There is a lot of time, effort, and money that goes into building a
brand, and this effort is being undertaken to simplify matters for
prospective users - so they have some expectation of what it means and
what it does. Nothing has become "generic" yet; if we had the money
for a survey, I would be surprised if 5 out of a thousand polled
adults had heard of the phrase Sugar on a Stick. That can change, but
only if Sugar Labs calls the shots. Naming a bunch of diferent things
with similar names guarantees that we cannot grow Sugar on a Stick.

If there were 200 distro projects interested, that would be a
different matter. But I just don't see the problem with project
marketing teams working with Sugar Labs, as Trisquel has done. It's
not like we are difficult to reach; the PR address and phone number we
set up has worked well to field requests.

Sean