[SoaS] updating the draft decision panel report

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Mon Nov 2 00:21:32 EST 2009

Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi... I guess I've become the minority.  I still believe that the name
> "Sugar On A Stick" should be allowed for all distributions of Sugar on a
> usb stick or even a live CD.  Sugar Labs can control and identify their
> special builds in a special way... "SoaS by SugarLabs" or whatever, but
> the term has already become so generic that trying to make it exclusive
> at this point seems to be a waste of time and energy.

FWIW, articles like this-

http://lwn.net/Articles/340546/

are what formed the impression in me that soas/SugarOnAStick was not in
fact a generic phrase, but instead effectively a brand for a very
specific free product/project/download.

I can certainly imagine an alternate emergence of the phrase as a
generic term instead of a specific one in the news sources that I read,
but that does not seem to be what happened.

-dmc