[SoaS] updating the draft decision panel report

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 18:52:46 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com> wrote:

> If we are leaning towards:
> Yes. Sugar on a Stick is the central pillar of our marketing strategy.
> It's not trademarked, but should be. SL does not want to confuse its
> users and a light touch like this is all that's needed.
>
> Can I suggest we start talking about what method we recommend others
> use to define other Sugar on a USB naming conventions?  This will help
> those who create other distributions to know what to do if we
> publicise that "Sugar on a Stick" is only to be used for the Sugarlabs
> SoaS-Fedora distributions.

Three people so far have weighed in to say that SoaS only means
'SoaS-Fedora' today, but could mean something else in the future.  It sounds
to me like we are leaning towards consensus on a reworded statement:

"Sugar on a Stick" or "SoaS" is only to be used for a specific Sugarlabs
project and its products.  [Currently, for example, the SoaS project is only
producing SoaS-Fedora.]  Independent projects should use names that are not
confusingly similar. "

Is that accurate?

When people ask for help, they need to know what they have.

> Tabitha

Yes, this aspect does not sound like a marketing question.   SJ