[SoaS] Fwd: Sugar on a stick working on a HP Mini 2140 Netbook

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 23:18:39 EST 2009

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gerry Beaudoin <gerry.beaudoin at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Subject: Sugar on a stick working on a HP Mini 2140 Netbook
To: walter <walter at sugarlabs.org>

Hello,

I'm a teacher in Edmonton, Alberta with a host of HP Mini 2140
netbooks in my classroom.  I built myself a bootable USB stick and got
sugar running on one of our netbooks.  The OS is nothing short of
extraordinary.  I hope to be able to use it to teach the new computing
science curriculum to early high school students.

My problem is that I can't seem to connect or even view any network
access points.  I'm pretty sure it's because the live USB stick
doesn't include driver support for the Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/draft-n
hardware included in the netbook.  iwconfig does not report any
functioning eth ports.  I've tangled with broadcom wireless drivers on
linux before...

Sound works as does the touchpad.  It even detects battery levels.
I'm still testing other functionality but would love to get the
networking/collaboration functionality working. Any suggestions/links?

Thanks for your time,

Gerry

--
Walter Bender