[SoaS] Blueberry SoaS Mac feedback

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Dec 11 22:07:30 EST 2009

On 12 Dec 2009, at 01:52, Gary C Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick report after having spent the last hour or so trying to get a USB stick with SoaS Blueberry to boot on a MacBook Pro following the steps at:
>
> 	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Blueberry#For_Mac_OS_X_Users
>
> 1). Having downloaded the .iso twice at different times, the md5 sum on that wiki page (4740da1026ab049b7781bbbdf21a8115) does not match the downloaded file (e0576a9e09d3eb13de46099c8d1ee74d), though the file size appeared correct on both occasions - 617,611,264 bytes (589M).
>
> [above is a fairly big potential oops, but moving on and assuming the .iso file is indeed correct and just the md5 is out of date]
>
> 2). The image-writer-mac script seemed to work nice and clearly to put the iso onto a 2GB USB stick, though I have no way to test the real result yet (no PC; MacBook Pro wont boot it though you can mount and browse the filesystem content; XO-1s OF think the USB stick has an unknown filesystem if you try to use them to boot/read it).
>
> 3). Using the boot CD http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-2-boot.iso seems to working, up to a point. Starting up the Mac with the alt key shows the CD as a bootable system (a few blinks from the USB led); boots to a sugar on a stick splash screen – 1 second delay auto boot (a few more USB blinks); black screen with cursor for ~10sec or so; and then:
>
> 	[drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout
>
> ...with a flashing cursor below, no keyboard access to do anything, have to just hard power off. Repeated a couple of times with the same result. Tried again in each of the 3 USB ports with same result, though with one port I had an extra message before above that read:
>
> 	hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
>
> 4) Tried booting the stick on XO-1s, but open firmware complains it has an unknown file system format, though it does mount OK once you boot into Sugar (from the nand).
>
> I'll give it a try later booting in a VirtualBox VM (that worked for some previous SoaS builds before F12), and I'll also give it a shot after burning the image as a bootable CD (that used to work OK, though obviously read only and missing some mac friendly HW drivers). Not looking too good as far as native Mac support goes.

Last few tries of the evening. Just made a regular boot CD from the soas-2-blueberry ISO (Disk Utility is the easy way to do this). The Mac is happy to boot off the disk as far as the 'sugar on a stick' splash screen - 10 sec auto boot countdown, but then fails once it tries to go further with the same message:

	[drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout

After some googling about, turns out to be the ever present case of unsupported video card drivers, so if you're a Mac user who isn't using and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT you might still be in luck (perhaps things like a Mac Mini).

If at the splash screen I hit tab, tab to edit the boot parameters, adding "nomodeset" will get me into a nongraphical boot that works all the way up to just before X start's up, at which point the screen just goes black. Trying "nomodeset single" will boot all the way to a single user root prompt, at which typing startx will again give a black screen. I also gave "driver=vesa" a go but that was a "[drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout" error.

If you're curious, google for "PRAMIN flush timeout" will turn up a bunch of Mac folks trying to run F12 (and F11 I think), some have eventually managed to hack things up by installing basic generic drivers (non-free most likely), but they were installing to HD so had a read/write filesystem to hack about on ;-)

My poor Mac has never seen so many reboots in one day! Oh well, back to my shiny, proprietary, apple flavoured interface of choice ;-b

Regards,
--Gary