[Marketing] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] [SLOB] xo-computer icon

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:37:34 EDT 2017

Laura, I am not a lawyer, but the inclusion of a trademarked logo does not
make software nonfree. Software is copyrighted after all; it's the license
that brings freedom to it. In the absence of a formal trademark agreement,
lawyers look at the way a trademark is used, and what the trademark owner
has tolerated. In the case of OLPC, there is clearly a longstanding policy
of approval, given the shared history of OLPC and Sugar, and the use of the
logo in good faith with OLPC's principles.

We have defended the Sugar Labs trademark in the past, and will do so again
if there is usage in bad faith or through ignorance. The GNOME Foundation
may very well defend its trademark if the proposed new logo is published,
which is why major branding changes must always be reviewed — due diligence
to avoid a trademark dispute is part of any rebranding process.

Walter asked the SFC for clarification on this issue eight years ago, but
to my knowledge we didn't receive a legal opinion then. It hasn't been a
problem, because our use of the OLPC logo has always been in good faith,
with their knowledge. There is no urgency in the proposed change.

Sean.