[Marketing] [IAEP] Motion: Solicit Membership Donations + Public Statements

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon May 23 08:57:28 EDT 2016

Hi Sean!

On 23 May 2016 at 04:42, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> Handing over marketing to anyone with a deep pocket is incomprehensible to
> me, I'd much rather just see "gold sponsor status" or something similar. Do
> people really need the recognition?

Offering to suggest a codename is hardly "handing over marketing." Let's
experiment! :)

I can't see anything on www.sugarlabs.org ;)

> Important contributions are made by members who already donate their time
> and would perhaps prefer not to donate funds too, do they get to do a
> public statement?

Sure! Anyone can make a pull request to the website :)

> Social media offers a very effective means for microdonation fundraising
> drives, and we haven't done that yet. As I understand it, this is more like
> voluntary membership dues - a fundraising drive (which would be associated
> with a tangible goal, e.g. an alternate hardware platform) would be
> separate.

Yep :)

> In my view, requesting conditions or offering perks shouldn't be
> associated with voluntary membership dues. I'd prefer the following:
>
> Motion: To request donations from Sugar Labs Members, to be allocated to
> the General Fund through the SFC. The annual donation requested will be $12
> USD from members who self-identify as low-income (such as students); $36,
> $120, or $600 USD from general members.

Since you sent this to SLOBs, I guess they will have to vote on both
motions and we'll see which is passed :D

Cheers
Dave