[Marketing] [IAEP] Motion: Solicit Membership Donations + Public Statements

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon May 23 04:42:20 EDT 2016

Handing over marketing to anyone with a deep pocket is incomprehensible to
me, I'd much rather just see "gold sponsor status" or something similar. Do
people really need the recognition?

I'm also confused about the public statement bit - don't we already have
member pages? Important contributions are made by members who already
donate their time and would perhaps prefer not to donate funds too, do they
get to do a public statement?

Social media offers a very effective means for microdonation fundraising
drives, and we haven't done that yet. As I understand it, this is more like
voluntary membership dues - a fundraising drive (which would be associated
with a tangible goal, e.g. an alternate hardware platform) would be
separate.

In my view, requesting conditions or offering perks shouldn't be associated
with voluntary membership dues. I'd prefer the following:

Motion: To request donations from Sugar Labs Members, to be allocated to
the General Fund through the SFC. The annual donation requested will be $12
USD from members who self-identify as low-income (such as students); $36,
$120, or $600 USD from general members.

Sean