[Marketing] Example marketing plans

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon May 2 09:06:49 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

these are indeed useful for non-marketers to get a feel for how a
competitive landscape study is presented, or how a marketing plan is built.

There are differences with SL, in particular there are no funds for market
studies (or actual marketing for that matter).

I believe I did a SWOT analysis a few years ago, but it will be quite
outdated now.

With a project roadmap the community supports, a marketing plan can be
prepared. Historically, with the almost complete lack of funds (my contribs
excepted), I concentrated on PR as a vector, generating positive news
coverage with relatively modest expense ($300 per release on average).
Today, a better approach would be social media.

Our value proposition pitching Sugar should include a "Try Sugar" browser
instance and a pancake button installer. The devil is in the details of
what that button should point to. Historically, we point to a wiki page
which probably does the best job possible to guide an experienced computer
user to an installation/configuration method. Simplifying this for teachers
would be great.

Sean