[Marketing] Swag revival

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:58:07 EDT 2016

Here's a fairly simple project we tried to get off the ground a couple of
times and didn't: branded merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, messenger bags,
&c.). The new marketing team may wish to pick this up.

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-May/001108.html

This old list of print-on-demand (POD) suppliers is surprisingly not too
out of date, but their offers have surely evolved; a couple years ago I
collected these links of more recent comparisons:
http://www.smartcausedigital.com/articles/sell-merchandise-your-nonprofit-without-dealing-inventory#.V22Xbq7gRFU
http://www.ninthcircle.net/2013/print-on-demand-sites-mega-review/
http://podnewsblog.blogspot.fr/2013/06/a-list-of-print-on-demand-services.html

There are other generalist merchandise vendors (RedBubble) and many who
focus on mainly t-shirts (Mysoti, Sunfrogshirts, Threadless, Customink).

Wear & sell swag at booths and shows, and break even (or perhaps turn a
small profit) with online vendor-hosted sales.

Design: my idea had been to draw from the Sugar interface itself, most if
not all of which is available in SVG vector format. My preliminary work on
the brief was to emphasize Activities, with a big Activity icon on the
front (Turtle Blocks, Speak, Etoys,...), on the back the Activity name in
large type and underneath "a sugar activity", as usual in VAG Rounded Light
with the Sugar logo. As well as a home view with spiral graphic, network
view with kid icons, etc., with phrases like:
sugar learning platform
i'm a sugar developer
i'm a sugar learner

(each mention of Sugar being the logo)

I had also thought of language versions - my impression being that POD
offers don't limit the number of designs, and this could communicate
Sugar's strength in localization.

A branded shop could come later.

I had arranged with a professor at a design school to have a class do the
work from a brief, but the timing wasn't right and I hadn't formalized the
brief. I will try to find that private thread and forward it to Dave.

If any of you want to get swag going (and not necessarily with these
ideas), perhaps the first step is to choose a supplier and payment
workflow, seeding it with a simple first design like the Sugar logo in
three color variants.

Sean.