[Marketing] The End of Sugar (thought exercise)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 23 23:31:00 EDT 2016

On 23 June 2016 at 22:01, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23 June 2016 at 10:31, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org> wrote:
>> > Perhaps we should ask marketing to do a SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses
>> > Opportunities Threats) analysis.
>>
>> Welcome to the marketing team. Please start a document and I'll add to it
>> :)

Would you like me to start the document?

> > However we might not have enough funds for
>> > more than an online survey of current/past users and indirect friends
>> of the
>> > project.
>>
>> I already have survey listed in https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/2016_Goals
>> :)
>>
>> If we had $10,000 to spend on "marketing," how would you spend it?

Well given we seemed to have scared off Sugar's historical marketing
> expert,

lol

> I have no idea what a fair usage of $10,000 would be, or how it might be
> subdivided.

Fair enough. You said "we might not have enough funds for more than
[something]" which implied to me that you had ideas for things we _could_
do with funding and were discounting them as out of the question, and I
wanted you to not be shy about your ideas about how to use funds :)

> Not everyone wants to work on Sugar like it is a tech startup with a brick
> on the accelerator and the brakes disconnected.

LOL :)

I said that it would be good to get Sugar back to where it was, not that we
should seek venture capital and pursue user growth at the expense of all
other metrics.

I am confused why you would say "stop the bleeding!" and a moment later say
you don't want to get Sugar back to where it was.