[Marketing] The End of Sugar (thought exercise)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:21:47 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org>
wrote:

> Historically there have been several organizations financially supporting
> Sugar development.
>
> But at least some of those have left, others have reduced their
> contributions, and it is unclear to me if any new groups have made
> significant tangible investments in the project.
>
> The XO laptop and icon, both commonly associated with Sugar, are OLPC
> trademarks.  There is nothing stopping anyone from licensing these and
> putting applications in the Android/Apple/Chromebook stores claiming to be
> "Based on Sugar" with a new "Journal" interface.
>
> In short: Sugar is having trouble expanding beyond its current territory,
> or at least publicly appears to be.
>
> So this week I thought of a couple of questions:
>
>    - What would cause you and/or your school(s) to stop using Sugar?
>    - What would another project have to offer in order for it to be used
>    instead?
>    - When would it be a good idea to move everyone to a new project?
>    - Under what circumstances should Sugar Labs be shutdown?
>
> If we can answer these questions, maybe we can reform Sugar to better meet
> these competitive challenges.

I guess I have a different vision of Sugar than you. I am interested in our
creating a best-of-breed pedagogical framework what hopefully will see wide
dissemination in schools, but also will show the way forward for the ed
tech community as a whole, which I think tends to focus on market share
more than learning outcomes. What I would like from marketing is some
mechanism for highlighting the powerful ideas in Sugar that seem to be
lacking in most other systems so that even if a school decides to go with a
different product/project, they put pressure on that project to provide
tools, not apps, collaboration, transparency, self reflection and group
critique, and responsibility on the shoulders of students and teachers to
shape their own world. So personally, I find your questions irrelevant to
my goals.

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs