[Marketing] [SLOBS] [IAEP] Fwd: Google for Nonprofits Affiliation Request Sent

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 23 00:41:42 EDT 2016

Hi Sean

On 22 June 2016 at 15:37, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> We agree on using Google AdWords, but no work has been done on communication
> strategy, and although I am thrilled there is interest in marketing, I am
> also very concerned that more emphasis seems to be on the media rather than
> the message, and my requests that this be worked on before starting
> campaigns aren't leading anywhere.

Where you've requested this be worked on, Samson has got back to you
with a proposal document, and there have been comments from members.

If you want to lead the marketing effort, I think its incumbent upon
you to either ask Samson to go over the feedback he got and use it to
improve his proposal document and share a new version, if that is the
next step you think he should take; or, to draft your own document
that lays out the strategy that you think we ought to be working on
together, and solicit comments on it.

Do you see alternative actions to take to lead this somewhere? I'm
eager to hear them :)

If you agree those 2 paths forward would be good, please take one.

> It's true that I am more interested in marketing to teachers than recruiting
> FLOSS developers, but with social media it's more important than ever to
> have an integrated plan.

If you want an integrated plan, please work with Samson and myself and
all other members to create one :)

I am also waiting for a reply to my email asking you to provide links
to the plans written in the past.

> Dave, if this doesn't make sense to you, you can coordinate marketing from
> now on, I'm not sure I have the energy to repeat myself over and over. I can
> only say I know what works and what doesn't, and randomness in marketing
> doesn't.

I don't think Samson and I are opposed to following your lead.

If you think our approach is 'random,' then please do work on a
structured approach with us.

Rather, I think what Samson and I are opposed to is inaction; you said
on the call the other day -
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vision_proposal_2016/Call_1 - that you
have been "mystified" for the last 2-3 years on how to market Sugar,
that in the early days you developed a good strategy - which I am yet
to read - but a crisis developed in how to get tasks that you think
needed to be done to become completed within a volunteer community.
You didn't do them yourself, and no one did them, and so the marketing
aspects of Sugar have dried up.

Well, here is me and Samson eager to volunteer and get things going.

If you want to "assign" tasks to us, we might say that we don't take
orders. Sure. But if you want to work with us to list all the possible
tasks, and to prioritise them, and then to do these tasks yourself and
ask us to join you in doing them, then I expect we will be happy to
join you.

Samson, do you agree?