[Marketing] The End of Sugar (thought exercise)

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Wed Jun 22 21:45:14 EDT 2016

Historically there have been several organizations financially supporting
Sugar development.

But at least some of those have left, others have reduced their
contributions, and it is unclear to me if any new groups have made
significant tangible investments in the project.

The XO laptop and icon, both commonly associated with Sugar, are OLPC
trademarks.  There is nothing stopping anyone from licensing these and
putting applications in the Android/Apple/Chromebook stores claiming to be
"Based on Sugar" with a new "Journal" interface.

In short: Sugar is having trouble expanding beyond its current territory,
or at least publicly appears to be.

So this week I thought of a couple of questions:

   - What would cause you and/or your school(s) to stop using Sugar?
   - What would another project have to offer in order for it to be used
   instead?
   - When would it be a good idea to move everyone to a new project?
   - Under what circumstances should Sugar Labs be shutdown?

If we can answer these questions, maybe we can reform Sugar to better meet
these competitive challenges.