[Marketing] [Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Go Social via Social Media (Proposal/Motion)

samson goddy samsongoddy at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:50:21 EDT 2016

Sorry Sean, but i think you are getting this motion all wrong. First i don't think you should step away for anything, like i said it's just a motion. SL can decide what to do with it. If it get rejected i won't feel bad, just sad i guess for me and dave's time wasted effort. I also promise myself not to create any motions regarding making sugar bigger(Socially) after this one because i see it as wasted $$ in cyber cafe.

  To make something clear to everyone, I don't intend to do anything that will affect this organization. My aim is to make sure i help SL in my own way as a contributor. So to answer some of the questions, First i said that the monetizing can be debated. So it's up to SLOBs to decide what to do about the adsense. Secondly, my marketing objectives is to make SL socially active. And yes getting alot of likes and clicks will do SL good because it will get people talking. OLPC that is based just on producing machines  they have more followers on twitter/Facebook than us(SL) the software provider which is extremely bad. How is the activities.sugarlabs.org doing now?, look at the success of scratch in MIT media lab, Scratch is one of the main programming tool used by kids this days even in Nigeria, when we have something smarter than it(Turtleart/block).

 Why is it like that, i think that we don't want to show the world what we are capable of, socially. When was our facebook page created, but what i know for sure is that it's over 3 years now and we still have what? 648 likes!. While communities like the scratch use the social media as a strategy to get people talking, i think they just signed a deal with cartoon network. Now scratch is trending topic in the tech world, while don't we use that as our advantage? we have scratch activity, why not tell people using the socia media that scratch is available in Sugar platform. If we do that, what do you think will happen?

   What do you mean by creating a Facebook-only version of Sugarizer (? if there are resources to do so?). I said that SL developers should also ports SL java-script project the facebook world for example sugarizer. They are some addicted facebook users that just facebook all day. So why won't SL port this project so that the addicted users can use. If it's a bad idea, i think is also a bad idea to make Sugarizer available on itunes, google playstores, chromestore etc. Because what is the point of making this application private when people from other world can access our activities. Think about it!

  Yes, we are using the Google AdGrants now. So that is not an issue! PLus, i think that there should be a paid manager. If the person is not financially strong. E.g like me i spent an average $20 a day in the cyber cafe browsing. For me to be the manager(for instance) it's will cost me more $$, when i can just get funds from SL to do the work done. So that it will be taken serious. I will see it as a responsibility. The SL paid social manager makes sure everything is in place by uploading SL work, news update, events, videos online etc, for example the same process as the translation manager. If SLOBs think it can be volunteer driven, it's for the benefit of SL and i won't be sad.

 "however major media tech sites won't publish anything about us unless we
 have news, and right now we don't. (Ifeanyi - it's not the case that
buying ads from news sites will generate coverage, that's not how
journalists work.)" I don't think that's true, we do have something, that's why they are content creators in the community. We give them topic like "why Sugar?", "what is sugar?" etc.

  So dave and I already set up SL accounts which are:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sugar_labs https://twitter.com/sugarlabs
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarLabs-187845102582/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsR9AEb7HuPRAc14jfiI6g
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/111673993478233827739/