[Marketing] [IAEP] Seeking insights into Oversight_Board/Decisions

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:57:24 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Given the trademark fee was recently paid to renew the trademarks, I guess
> the merits were accepted

For an organization with the possibility of widespread recognition, owning
your trademark is a vital step. It could be compared to owning your
Internet domain name. In both cases it gives the organization a legal tool
to prevent anyone else from creating confusion about your organization and
your offer. The fine print on our PR has always asserted our trademark, and
there were at least three instances where we had to contact possible
infringers. Fortunately, in all three cases an agreement was reached
quickly, no doubt because of the strength of our trademark.

Sugar Labs possesses something many projects, nonprofits and certainly many
startups dream of: top ranking in search engines. This is brand equity and
the trademark is the shield.

Sean.