[Marketing] [Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Apr 7 19:34:39 EDT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 17:24, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> How many kids is Sugar targetting?
>>
>> Low millions? Or billions?
>>

> A few years ago, I estimated at around 10 million the number of teachers
> in classrooms with younger children, and I suggested we target them. Any
> teacher-friendly, ultrasimple, reliable setup and maintenance Sugar
> solution could work towards that goal.

> In my view Sugarizer has a very key role to play - overcoming the
> unfamiliarity barrier for teachers. Which could, ironically, boost the
> opportunities of the Sugar/GNU solutions.

I agree with all of the above

> I do feel that View Source is a key differentiator of Sugar, and I
> subscribe to the "low floor, no ceiling" idea.

I think the fact that "View Source" is a famous web browser menu item is
poignant for this discussion, especially given the power of the
Firebug-style web developer modes of all the big browsers today.

I believe the very simplest and most reliable is ...

I think we ought to think in terms of addressable market, and for me with
that perspective the ranking is,

Sugarizer in a browser,

Sugarizer installed via packages for existing mobile systems,

Sugar/GNU in a VM (which I wonder could be ideally bundled with VM software
and presented as a "desktop app"),

Sugar/GNU on a stick,

Sugar installed via packages for existing GNU systems,

Sugarizer/Android preinstalled on hardware

Sugar/GNU preinstalled on hardware

Sugar/GNU preinstalled on rugged hardware