[Marketing] OLPC CES press release

Ron Feigenblatt docdtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:48:29 EST 2014

On 1/9/14, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-laptop-per-child-and-vivitar-unveil-second-generation-of-award-winning-xo-tablets-239069321.html
>
> This PR is focused on the Android tablets, no mention of Sugar.

It was interesting to look at the sales pitches and customer reviews
the four linked retailers provide. Target cites the screen size &
resolution very wrong! I wonder if the OLPC people will pick up on
this? In general, the lay reviews are rather favorable, with many of
the unfavorable reviews citing tablet infant mortality. Only Amazon
hypes use as an e-book reader, but it says nothing about
text-to-speech (TTS) functionality. Could it really be that no
free/cheap TTS engine was integrated? And no one gives a comprehensive
list of the bundled apps. I thought we had virtually infinite space
for detail on the Web; could it be that too many details (even linked
to a "back-burner" page) is a sales depressant?

Ron