[Marketing] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 13:11:37 EST 2013

Of course it doesn't stop us from marketing, but it adds two extra hurdles
for teachers to deal with (the GPL VirtualBox installer + the PUEL
extension pack necessary for passthrough USB support). So techies won't
care, but I guarantee a percentage of teachers will. It's a well-documented
axiom of internet marketing that you lose up to 50% of prospects with every
additional click - this is precisely why Amazon deployed 1-click purchases.
With three clicks instead of one, I hope we don't lose 20%, 30%, 50% of
interested teachers. After all, there's already a barrier: the huge size of
the downloads.

It's obvious given our limited resources we need to evaluate our most
resource-effective ways of publishing prepared VMs. This is what I had in
mind about approaching Oracle. But we need to try to maximize our potential
conversion rate without additional hoops. I'd be happy with anything over
10% (software/SaaS average rate is roughly 7% [1]), and we won't even be
gating the download in a contact form.

My proposal two years ago to make VMs the preferred method for teachers to
try Sugar met with opposition from Peter and others who preferred SoaS.

Sean

[1]
http://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/chart/average-website-conversion-rates-industry#