[Marketing] [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [Sur] Sugar oversight board meeting

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 05:56:14 EST 2013

>> Look at these older tests of sugar on the RPi:
>>    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Testing/Reports/ARM_RPi
>>
>> This part of the Advanced topics wiki page on the sugarlabs wiki:
>>  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Advanced_Topics#ARM
>>
>> Tom Gilliard
>
> I could not find any evidence of user experience testing, or
> performance evaluation, in the two links you gave.  Did you give the
> right ones?

The links I see above provide a lot of random links and information
but it seems to be a confusing mish-mash of stuff. Useful for someone
who is extremely technical but not to a school which wants an off the
shelf experience that just works.

> I agree with Peter, I don't think it will perform well, but I don't
> know in what way it won't perform well, so I can't guess where effort
> would have to be spent to fix it.

Somethings are HW or closed source drivers so I don't believe it would
be possible to get a reasonable, reproducible QAed experience that
would be of decent performance on a reproducible platform.

If we want to look at a platform where we can produce a consistent
nice platform I would suggest the Beagle Bone black where we can
produce and image to fix on the onboard eMMC or something like the
bottom end Cubox-i where each could cost less than $50 and be a
consistent controllable experience.

> (especially in comparison to an XO-1)

Well it would be likely similar performance to an XO-1.... which is TERRIBLE!

Peter