[Marketing] Sugar 0.100 or 1.0

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri May 17 12:04:30 EDT 2013

We can't go with 1.0 unless we change the numbering system.

The current system means it will take another decade to get to v3.0. I and
perhaps others will have far more grey hair by then.

I proposed several years ago that the developer version numbers (not to
mention the OLPC OS version numbers) be separated from the marketing
version numbers, since the dev version numbers are unmarketable. Developer
resistance at the time was ferocious, a symptom of how marketing is widely
considered irrelevant in the F/LOSS universe.

We therefore reoriented version numbering for Sugar on a Stick "v6", which
we rebaptized "v1 Strawberry". This strategy helped us obtain very wide
press coverage at the time, since journalists and analysts (as intended)
understood that release as "Sugar v1, a year after the spinoff from OLPC".
This was appropriate, because Sugar was already shipping in production to
hundreds of thousands of children.

Today, communicating a v1 of Sugar is problematic, *unless* it is
associated with a platform change, e.g. the transition to HTML-based (and
ultimately Android-compatible) Activities; or presented as positioning
Sugar for tablets; our narrative would be "a fresh start".

In terms of timing, it's far more important to offer real change with a v1
than to meet a self-imposed deadline; if more time is needed, by all means
it should be taken. A functioning HTML5 based toolkit, adapting to the form
factor change towards tablets, Android compatibility (whatever form that
may take), perhaps even an OEM partnership with Raspberry Pi Foundation or
Google (Chromebook) or a social media giant, would not only greatly raise
awareness, but provide a springboard for serious funding.

At the same time, it will be vital to communicate our level of ongoing
support (in the wide sense) to the existing installed base which of course
will include the XO-4 recipients as it starts shipping.

I feel that 0.100 is even more unmarketable than 0.98. However, as a
developer version number tucked away under the hood, I'd have no objection
to that if it is helpful to getting the job done while a more
understandable number is communicated to press and analysts.

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator