[Marketing] How to best describe Sugar Labs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Oct 15 11:44:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 10:38 -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> And, even *notwithstanding* that, I'm pretty sure that SPI would be
> annoyed if one of its projects did something in their name with their
> EIN without asking them first.  I don't think Debian would do that.
>
> The analogy that Chris Lenoard made was a good one: Imagine if you and I
> work very closely together on a lot of projects.  I'd still be very
> annoyed if you filed paperwork unilaterally using my USA SSN.  EINs are
> the "organizational" equivalent of SSNs.
>
> > I'm not sure whether there was harm done to the conservancy;
>
> Indeed, I don't think harm was done, which is why Conservancy took no
> official action for this infraction of the FSA.  Indeed, if any harm was
> done, I think the harm was more to Sugar Labs than Conservancy, because
> it's the Giving department at Google may be somewhat confused.

Bradley, what are you talking about? Here's the "confusing" paragraph
again:

  Organization overview: One or two paragraphs on the organization's
  work, history and mission.

  Sugar Labs develops free software and content for primary school
  education, with a focus in developing nations. The Sugar learning
  environment powers all the laptops distributed by One Laptop Per
  Child, reaching 2.5 million children worldwide.

  Sugar Labs is a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy,
  an umbrella organization providing fiscal sponsorship for several
  other projects. EIN 41-2203632.

Note that I added the last paragraph specifically because you asked to
mention the SFC every time we describe Sugar Labs. I thought it was a
bit annoying, but still better than arguing with you.

> I think we have to look carefully at the programs that Google is funding
> through that charitable program, and also investigate the internal
> political situations as well.  We'll coordinate further with Walter on
> this, and he can report back to the SLOBs on it.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this nonsense. Dealing with you
is as pleasant as being tried in court -- it just makes me want to give
up on trying to help Sugar Labs, a member project of the Software
Freedom Conservancy.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team